Friday, March 18, 2011

Half Marathon Training: long or short run?

Last Sunday I did another one of my long runs for my half marathon training. I am having issues staying mentally motivated for these runs but I keep telling myself that the race will be even further so suck it up. Since we've had some nicer weather here and the snow on the race course has started to melt away, I decided it would be a good time to run a bit of the course.

Map of Race Course (green = race course, red = what I ran)

I felt like it was a good idea to run the course because now I'm aware of some of the challenging sections, like the steep hill at the 15km point. But I also feel like it might not have been a great idea because when I finished I thought "oh crap! I have to run how much further on race day?" Then I mapped it out and f-bomb, that is far! Oh well, I know I can do it but I definitely think I need to work on my mental game. So the long and the short of it [haha pun intended] is that my long run really wasn't so long in the end. *Tear*

2 comments:

  1. You can do it! Just think of your poor injured sister who can't even run and be grateful that you can. If you mentally believe you can do it, then you can! Be sure to visualize yourself completing the half marathon and picture how happy and proud you'll be when you do! And if that doesn't work, then just remember that Hubby is also running and a little healthy competition never hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the motivation! Happy thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete