Thursday, September 15, 2011

Work It Out

Exciting news...my sister moved back to the country!! Selfishly I'm really happy because now I have a workout buddy and someone to try out new workout ideas with. She doesn't have a gym membership yet, so she gets to use my ghetto gym in the basement.

Yesterday was my first chance to try out a new workout idea with her. I have been reading about this Tabata training, where you do 20 second intervals with a 10 second rest for 4 minutes, alternating between 2 exercises (you can do 4 sets of one, then 4 of another; or 2 sets/swtich/2 sets/etc.). Then you rest and do it again with different exercises. The idea is that you try to max out on every interval, increasing your VO2 max. It was first designed with cardio exercises, but you can adapt it to involve weights instead.

After a 5 minute warm up, my sis and I did the following routine:










**Some of the exercise names may be wrong. That is because I made up the names instead of searching for their actual technical names. It helps me remember them more easily.

This was a toughie for sure. I highly recommend buying an interval timer or downloading a free app that has a Tabata clock on it. You will lose track of which interval you are on.

It was quick, super challenging, and got my heart rate up, so overall this will definitely become a staple. Now here's hoping my first customer comes back :)






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for checking out my blog! It's always cool to find people in your area!!

    That looks like a crazy workout!

    ReplyDelete